Friday, August 19, 2011

Aging...actively: Part 2

There is no doubt that part of aging and living a full life is to win the Gene Lottery. I am one of those lucky ones. In spite of both of my parents dying young (my Mom was only 40 when she dropped dead from a heart attack), I have won the Gene Lottery. I have no cholesterol, blood pressure or other health issues. There are the usual aches and limitations; my half marathon days are over….but I am not going to go quietly into the night. I am planning on leading an active and engaged life until my last breath. My Aunts and Uncles are wonderful role models. They all work (including Uncle Bill who is now past 80) and travel the world and have a positive outlook on life. My Aunt and Uncle in Montreal gave up their car years ago and walk to work each day.



Joseph Coughlin, Founder of MIT’s Agelab says “We spend billions trying to live longer but no one puts any thought or investment into how to live longer, better”. This is a valid concern as the Boomer population ages and lives longer. By 2030, those over age 65 will double in the US and constitute 20% of the population. According to Statistics Canada, The number of senior citizens in the country could more than double over the next 20 years.” What is worrisome about this shift in demographics is the decreasing labour pool as boomers retire. “In 1981, there were roughly six persons in the labour force for each retiree. By 2031, it will be less than three to one.” To make our retirement platform sustainable, we either need to introduce more workers through immigration or a higher birthrate, or we need to work longer.

Based on the small sample of my family (6 aunts and uncles over age 65 and all working), working longer is a very good outcome. Work keeps people active, involved and engaged. They are forced to interact with other people regularly and evolve. Uncle Bill was 83 when he first invited me to be his friend on Facebook! He is excited to go to the office and learn new skills. Work sustains people beyond the financial rewards. It is time to rid ourselves of the “retire at 65” mentality and seek to stay engaged and productive regardless of age.

I would love to hear your ideas for aging actively...

4 comments:

  1. My mom is 58, and plans to retire within the next couple of years. But she too believes that not working might make her mind a little dull. So she's started to apply to be a volunteer at many places within our community - at the hospital, the humane society, etc. She also signed up for cooking classes (not a bad idea), is taking up golf, and even origami! I'm proud she's looking for things she didn't have time to do while she was working that will make her happy. Finding happiness in things unexplored = my mother's key to aging actively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brisk walks in the morning is what my recently retired parents say is the key for aging actively. They are also considering getting a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that the habits you develop in your 20's play a part in determining how well you will age.. I have pushed myself to join teams, take courses and try new things in hopes of developing habits that will make aging actively my only option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll never truly retire. I enjoy being active and challenging myself, physically and mentally!
    My uncle recent came to visit us from Italy. He told me I look young and that I haven't aged since the last time he saw me. I chalk it up to being apart of a good gene pool and the healthy choice I have made in live.

    ReplyDelete